Baahubali: The Beginning – Digital Marketing Strategies
Baahubali: The Beginning (Baahubali), a South Indian movie turned into an international sensation and crossed the barriers of language. The film became the talking point not just because of big budgets, big star cast, extraordinary storyline, colossal sets, etc. It was also about the technology used in terms of visuals and extensive marketing of the movie. It was a bilingual in Telugu and Tamil and was later dubbed in Malayalam, Hindi and other foreign languages. The promotional strategies included digital marketing, buzz marketing and merchandising. While few strategies were used just at the time when movie was announced, quite a few marketing strategies were deployed during the film production, just before the audio release and most importantly post-release.
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding (PCU)/Before the Classroom Discussion
This Case study’s discussion would be more effective if the participants understand the concept of Choosing Integrated Marketing Communications to build brand equity. A preliminary understanding of this concept can be had from the following suggested chapter and articles:
- • Kevin Lane Keller, et al., “Integrated Marketing Communications to Build Brand Equity”, Strategic Brand Management, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education Inc., 2011
- • Theodore Levitt, “Marketing Success Through Differentiation-of Anything”, Harvard Business Review, January–February 1980
The students/participants were asked to view the film, Baahubali: The Beginning to help build a better connect with the case’s purported learning.
Case Positioning and Case Setting
This case study can be used for either of the following:
- • MBA Program – Brand Management course – Integrated Marketing Communications to build Brand Equity chapter – To understand how Baahubali movie’s team deployed a slew of marketing communication strategies to garner highly-acclaimed commercial success
- • MBA Program – Integrated Marketing Communication course – To understand the communication process and the components of promotion
- • MBA Program – Marketing Management course – To highlight the importance of designing a marketing communication program based on need & marketing mix analysis
- I. What need was Baahubali movie catering to? What is your analysis of Baahubali’s marketing mix decisions?
- II. Using Theodore Levitt’s Total Product Concept (TPC), analyze Baahubali’s Product (the movie) offering.
- III. Baahubali movie’s marketing communications spanned quite a few marketing formats (including Print, TV, Digital and OOH). What is your analysis of this approach for Baahubali the film’s marketing?
- IV. .................
Case Analysis and Classroom Discussion
Preamble to the Case Analysis
This case study enables an interesting discussion on Baahubali’s digital marketing strategies including an evaluation of Theodore Levitt’s Total Product Concept (TPC) and thereby analyzing Baahubali’s Product (the movie) offering. Accordingly, this case study was orchestrated in the classroom as shown in Exhibit (TN)-I.................