Be ‘Nirbhaya’ At Workplace
The National Capital Region (NCR) of New Delhi flourished due to development and growth of different industries coming and setting up their offices in the area. One among them was Remish Products Limited, a glass utility factory, started in 2010. Within five years, it grew in volume in terms of finance and employees as well. To make the workplace employee friendly, the company designed a HR policy ‘Nirbhaya’, to ensure women empowerment, employee friendly workplace, participation in diversity, equal employment opportunity and open environment system. However, due to irresolute employees and irresponsible behavior, policies created do not stand successful. Remish Products Ltd., also faced similar situation as two junior employees (Sonam and Priya) were sexually harassed by a senior employee who was also their reporting manager (Vivek). Priya tries to register her complaint with the Workplace Harassment Committee but was further harassed by the head of the committee (Suresh). Although she was threatened and bullied, she filed her complaint to the higher authority of company management and decided to approach the Labour Court instead of waiting for committee decision or arbitration. However, due to lack of eyewitness and evidence the employee lost her fight. The case study gives an insight in how to handle sensitive situation and how arbitration and adjudication process works for employees. The case study tries to ignite open discussions among students regarding the concern.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- • Discuss the different aspects of arbitration and adjudication
- • Discuss the critical factors related to sexual harassment
- • Apply the theoretical concepts to complex real world situations such as workplace environment policies, structure of workplace harassment committees, procedures of complaining for harassment and if not satisfied with the resolution of the company committee, then what are the necessary action can be taken by the employees to fight for the truth
Case Positioning and Setting
This case study can be used in the following Programs: MBA, PGD in Business Management, PGD in Management, PG Program of Management, etc. It can also be utilized for the course work of Executive MBA or Certification in Management.
- I. What is the structure of workplace harassment committee?
- II. What are different kinds of employee harassment at workplace?
- III. What is bullying in harassment?
- IV. What are the employer’s legal responsibilities for handling workplace harassment?
- V. .............