Brand Positioning - Vistara Airlines
This case flyer offers an overview of Brand Positioning and the Structure of Indian Aviation Industry. It connects these concepts to identify and establish Points of Parity and Points of Differentiation. It further examines the brand positioning guidelines of Vistara airlines in the light of these guidelines.
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding (PCU)/Before the Classroom Discussion
This case flyer presupposes an understanding of the concepts of Brand Positioning. Students should have a basic understanding of the Indian Aviation Industry, the respective players, the taglines of each of the players and the Key Performance Indicators. Students/participants were asked to read the following chapter and articles to help them better connect the concepts:
- • Kevin Lane Keller, et al., “Brand Positioning”, Strategic Brand Management, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., 2011– To understand the concepts and guidelines of Brand Positioning
- • Kevin Lane Keller, et al., “Choosing Brand Elements to Build Brand Equity”, Strategic Brand Management, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., 2011– To understand the CBBE Model of Brand Equity
- • www.dgca.nic.in/ – For a brief on Indian Aviation Industry
- • http://rayandkeshavan.com/work/vistara/ – For understanding the branding framework of Vistara
- • https://www.airvistara.com/trip/press-releases#press-title-73 – To have a glimpse of all the press releases related to Vistara Airlines
Case Positioning and Setting
This case flyer can be used for the following:
- • MBA Program: This case flyer can be used for Brand Management course to understand the role of identifying and establishing brand positioning in enhancing brands equity
- • MDPs/EDPs: This case flyer can also be used in Management and Executive Development Programs to demonstrate how brands build brand equity based on its brand positioning
Case Flyer Analysis and Classroom Discussion
Preamble to this Case flyer Analysis
This case flyer provides an opportunity to learn the basics of brand positioning in the light of Vistara, the first Indian airline to have 3-cabin format in the same flight. While Vistara’s performance during first 100-days and during the first nine months of its launch clearly provides a cue on its brand positioning, the business dynamics too play an important role. Accordingly, this case flyer was discussed in the following way, Exhibit (TN)-I:....................