CASE LENS ON RESILIENCE IN THE BACKDROP OF HOLLYWOOD MOVIE, CREED
This Case Lens on resilience, prepared in the backdrop of Hollywood movie, Creed, aims to let the participants understand the various ways to build resilience. Adonis Johnson Creed (Adonis), the ‘illustrious’ son of boxing legend Apollo Creed builds his own legacy with resolute resilience. There are several connects in the movie that can be made to analyze the role of supporting ecosystem in building an individual’s resilience, which when discussed in detail would throw up well-grounded insights.
Prerequisite Viewing/Mandatory Viewing
The students/participants need to mandatorily watch the movie Creed, without violating the IPR laws. The temptation of either exhibiting the movie in the classroom or the students/participants downloading the movie from any hosting sites should be desisted lest we set unwarranted precedents in violating mandatory IPRs.
This Case Lens (video consisting the introduction and the accompanying five questions) can be orchestrated in the classroom in the following suggested flow:
1. Asking the students/participants to view the movie 2-3 days before the classroom discussion
2. Playing/exhibiting the Case Lens video in the classroom
3. Ideally, the class should be divided into four Learning Teams and they should be asked to prepare for all the questions. After giving them about 15 minutes, the classroom discussion/analysis should be attempted. This can be executed either by asking one of the teams randomly to present their analysis or each team should be allowed to lead a discussion for each of the questions
4. Each question would take varying times. The suggested timings are given in Exhibit (TN)-I and it is highly recommended that the last 5 minutes should be spent on
debriefing and synthesizing. The debriefing segment should be used to synthesize the expected learning outcomes of this Case Lens
Case Lens Positioning and Setting
This Case Lens as a pedagogical tool can be used for either of the following;
- • MBA Programs: HRM course – Career Management Module
- • Executive Development Programs/MDPs: To sensitize the participants to the importance of building resilience in fueling individual pursuits and professional growth
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of this Case Lens’ discussion/analysis, each of the participants/students should be able to understand/appreciate
- • The importance of resilience in the backdrop of Adonis Creed’s resolute struggle to “build his own legacy”
- • The contours of resilience and the ways and means to build the resilience reservoir
- • The role of supporting ecosystem in building an individual’s resilience
The assignment questions, as outlined in the Case Lens video, are:
- I. Adonis resigns from his job (where a promotion is due) and tells his mother that he wants to take up boxing full time. His mother flatly refuses and he leaves the home. He goes to Philadelphia and gets into the ring despite the trainer’s warning. While he knocks down the first boxer, he was knocked down by the second boxer, David Wheeler. What do these sequence of events tell about Adonis’ commitment to his goal? Why did he decide to be a boxer?
- II. ..............
Preamble to the Case Lens Discussion
The purpose of this Case Lens is to help understand the various ways to build resilience as one of the key life skills to fuel one’s growth. Assuming that the students/participants would have watched the movie before the classroom discussion, this Case Lens poses a series of questions on how important resilience is for personal and professional growth.
There can be several questions out of the discussion (Annexure I for classroom discussion board) on this Case Lens. The faculty/facilitator should encourage as many questions as possible, for, asking right questions is in itself a skill for any thriving professional. Accordingly, Exhibit (TN)-II captures the questions (definitely not exhaustive) that were raised during the classroom discussion as well as the authors’ teaching plan discussions................