Chinese Mobile Brands and Cross-Cultural Consumer Behavior
This case flyer offers an overview of the concepts of Country of Origin, Country of Design, Country of Manufacture and country brand strength. It further connects these concepts to China and demonstrates how the country has gained global recognition as a Country of Origin for several products, brands and also as a manufacturing epicenter. The case flyer further throws light on how certain Chinese smartphone brands have overcome the earlier negative perception associated with products emanating from China and have gained a strong foothold in the potentially explosive Indian smartphone market.
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding (PCU)/ Before the Classroom Discussion
This case flyer presupposes an understanding of the Country of Origin and of country brand. The participants were asked to read the following chapter and articles to help them better connect the concepts:
- • Leon G. Schiffman, et al., “Cross-Cultural Consumer Behavior: An International Perspective”, Consumer Behavior, 10th Edition, Pearson Education Inc., 2010 – To understand how Country of Origin affects other related concepts and relate the same to understanding cross-cultural consumer behavior
- • “Country Brand Index 2014-15”, http://www.futurebrand.com/cbi/2014 – To understand China’s Country Brand Equity
- • Michael E. Porter, “The Competitive Advantage of Nations”, Harvard Business Review, March–April 1990 – To understand the Diamond Model and how countries derive competitive advantage
Case Positioning and Setting
This case flyer can be used for the following:
- • In MBA Program: This case flyer can be used for Consumer Behavior course to understand the concepts related to Country of Origin and how perceptions of a country influence the demand for brands emanating from it.
- • In MDPs/EDPs: This case flyer can also be used in Management and Executive Development programs to demonstrate how brands have to undergo acculturation to gain acceptance in a foreign country.
Case Flyer Analysis and Classroom Discussion
Preamble to this Case Flyer Analysis
This case flyer is meant to introduce the participants/students to the idea/concept/notion of Country of Origin and how consumers from one country perceive the products/services from another country. Although this case flyer highlights how Chinese mobile brands have made inroads into the Indian market with their ‘aspirational’ value proposition, the participants should be directed towards broad basing their horizons on Country of Origin/Country of Design/Country of Manufacture taking a cue from this case flyer. Accordingly, the classroom orchestration of this case flyer can be conducted along the lines detailed in Exhibit (TN)-I.................