Godrej Expert Range of Hair Colors: Indian Consumers’ Dyeing Decisions
The premise of this case study is to enable a discussion on the dynamics of consumer decision-making with respect to Hair Dye as a product. By the end of 2010, Godrej Consumer Product Limited (GCPL) was the market leader in the powder hair dye segment but could not manage to secure a sizeable market share in the faster growing crème hair color segment. This had happened in the wake of its rivals like L'Oréal, and Streax making big strides in the crème segment. GCPL research insight claimed that it was the price factor that was deterring the consumer to upgrade to crème-based hair dye. GCPL decided to launch its crème based hair dye as a quality product at value prices. In 2012, it had launched Godrej Expert Rich Crème at an entry-level price point of ₹30! For the first time in the country, a crème hair color was made available in convenient pre-measured sachets and this delivery format made it an instant hit with the consumers. What made the consumers to make a decision on upgrading to crème segment? What were the influencing factors (external and internal)? This decisional shift was based on which of the four views (economic, passive, cognitive or emotional) of consumer decision-making? What is the efficacy of consumer decision to purchase Godrej Expert Rich Crème from the point of view of ‘Input, Process & Output’ model of consumer decision-making?
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding (PCU)/and Prior Viewing
The students/participants should be encouraged to read the following mandatory readings bereft of which a meaningful discussion and adequate analysis of this case study would not be possible:
- • Leon G. Schiffman, et al., “Consumer Decision Making and Beyond”, Consumer Behavior, 10th Edition – Pearson Publications, 2010 – To understand the dynamics involved in consumer decision-making
The following videos must be watched for detailed analysis of this case study:
- • “Godrej Expert Rich Creme - Oh My God”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-SSYh-ARI, November 26th 2012
- • “Dwarkachand ad. Sam and Meera. Godrej Expert. 2014. – Zindagi Muskuraye”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcN7aqg1_U, November 22nd 2014
Case Positioning and Setting
This case study can be used in MBA, Executive MBA or Executive Development Programs, for Consumer Behaviour Course:
- • Consumer Behaviour Course: “Consumer Decision-making and Beyond” – To examine the dynamics of consumer decision-making with respect to Hair Dyeing product/brand buying decisions with a focus on Godrej Expert Rich Crème hair dye
- I. What according to you is the nature of Hair Dyeing products? Are they FMCGs or Consumer Durables? Explain with reasons. Of all the three decision-making levels (EPS, LPS & RPS), which of the decision-making approaches do you think a ‘Hair Dye’ consumer would apply? Using the case facts (including exhibits) analyze the level of decision-making in the case of their dyeing habits.
- II. While the consumer decision-making literature highlights four views of consumer decisionmaking, which view do you think is most appropriate to a Hair-Dyeing product-buying consumer?
- III. ..................
The classroom discussion and analysis for this case study was facilitated under three broad sections as explained through the Classroom Orchestration [Exhibit (TN)-I] ....................................