Polycab: Setting up the End-to-End Supply Chain
Polycab, India’s No. 1 cable and wire company has come quite far from its humble beginning. But as it is expanding into newer areas, there is a need to set up a strong end to end supply chain network. This case study looks at the various business functions of Polycab and tries to find answers to the challenges and what needs to be done to support its expansion plans.
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding
This case study presupposes conceptual understanding of the following. A working knowledge along with the business implications of the following concepts would enable an effective discussion leading to more practical solutions than a mere intellectual exercise.
- • An understanding of end to end Supply Chain
- • An understanding of the cost elements involved in a supply chain in the cable industry
- • An understanding of the implications of fluctuating metal prices and fast moving items
Expected Learning Outcomes
- • Understand the stakeholders in the supply chain for a cable and wire manufacturer
- • Appreciate the concept of Fast Moving Items (Make to Stock and Make to Order)
- • Understand the Stocking and Pricing Strategy
- • Understand the significance of Stock Allocation
Case Positioning and Setting
This case study can be used in either MBA or Executive MBA or Executive Development Programs, for the following modules/topics in the Supply Chain Management course:
- • Inventory Management
- • Stock Allocation
- • Pricing Management
The case study seeks answers to the following questions:
- I. What are the typical challenges in the Cable Industry?
- II. How will Raman identify the Fast Moving Items?
- III. How much Safety Stock should he maintain?
- IV. ........................