Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding
- • Richard I. Levin and David S. Rubin, “Chapter 16: Index Numbers”, Statistics for Management, 7th Edition, Pearson Education, 2008
This caselet enables an understanding of the concept of Index Numbers and gives scope to understand the computation of price index. Kris Menon (Kris), the owner of a small neighborhood retail store, who was the first in his family to start a business, had seen frequent price volatility in pulses’ prices. It hurt his top-line as well as bottom-line of business. When he approached Rajiv Sumen (Sumen), an agricultural economist for consultation, he was told that price changes from past trend have to be estimated. Can index numbers abet to estimate the changes in economic variables over time?
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of this caselet discussion, the participants would/are expected to know:
- • How the index numbers are used to estimate the changes in economic variable over time
- • How to compute price index numbers and its applications
- • The difference between various methods of computing price index numbers
- I. Can index numbers abet to estimate the changes in economic variables over time? elaborate.
- II. If you are the consultant, what advice would you give to Kris Menon?
The Teaching Note follows a defined Teaching Plan [Annexure (TN)-I], which guides in conducting the classroom discussion....................