Startups, Ecommerce Firms Queue up at Design Institutes
This Case Flyer enables a discussion on an interesting trend of startups and eCommerce companies hiring large number of designers from various design institutes. The Case Flyer introduces the ecosystem of the Indian eCommerce industry before discussing the aforementioned trend. It gives an idea of the prevalent eCommerce business models in India and the factors behind the exponential growth of eCommerce industry in India. It also helps understand the meaning of scaling up for an eCommerce firm. The Case Flyer throws open a discussion on the reasons behind the recent trend and what more can be done to fulfill the industry’s requirement for designers. It concludes with a discussion on the new eCommerce ecosystem.
Prerequisite Conceptual Understanding and Before the Case Flyer Discussion
- • Gary Dessler and Biju Varkkey, “Human Resource Planning and Recruiting”, Human Resource Management, 12th Edition, Dorling Kindersley (India) Pvt. Ltd., 2011
Suggested Reading for the Faculty
- • Mark W. Johnson, et al., “Reinventing your Business Model”, Harvard Business Review, December 2008 – To understand the elements of a successful business model
Case Positioning and Setting
This Case Flyer can be used for either of the following:
- • In MBA Program – eCommerce Course – Business Models and Talent Sourcing – To discuss the business models of eCommerce companies and debate on why many Indian eCommerce firms are recruiting ‘designers’ for several of their functions
- • In MBA Program – HRM Course – Recruitment (Campus Recruitment) – To discuss the pros and cons of Indian eCommerce firms sourcing ‘design’ talent from campuses
- • In Executive MBA or Executive Development Programs – Either for HRM Course or for Talent Sourcing in Indian eCommerce firms or increasing demand for designers in eCommerce firms
Preamble to this Case Flyer Analysis
Designers play an important role in a company’s business landscape – product design, product innovation, service design, store design, marketing, etc. – and more so for eCommerce companies. Designers can enhance the websites’ appeal and navigational ease with unique and customer friendly designs. This Case Flyer focuses on the critical role played by designers in enhancing eCommerce companies’ appeal........