The WBS Merchandise Brand Store: A Case Of Missing Exclusivity
Merchandise of B-Schools is popular among the students of respective B-Schools, they not only consider that as a brand but also as souvenirs for memory. The WBS Store was one of the established students’ initiatives for past 10 years in the B-school. It enjoyed exclusive rights of providing souvenirs and also produce merchandise for various programs, events and fests in the institute, at times it received some special orders too. Since last three years, the store was facing tough competition from other mushrooming initiatives by students and also from staff members of B-School, which was not completely legal, but the business was going on smoothly for WBS until the first month of 2014. Within a year, matters took a few bad turns and it turned out that in December 2014 the store announced its closing amidst of chaotic atmosphere. The entrepreneur who had purchased the rights left it midway due to personal and business reasons, but was it just that or other issues as well.
Expected Learning Outcomes
The case study focuses on the following learning outcomes:
- • Need for exclusivity and the processes which could have been used to patent the Intellectual property by WBS Store
- • Managing students initiatives to start entrepreneurship
- • Which target audience needs to be considered and the understanding of the operations which would be helpful for WBS mechandisers
- • Implementation of appropriate rules, understanding the business model of WBS and initiatives taken by the students and staff members
- • Understanding of the importance of networking in any business venture
Case Positioning and Setting
This case study is useful for the entreprenuers for whom intellectual property and the symbols that respresent the brand of a object/institution plays an important role. The case study will help educational insitutes understand and compare their business model with WBS, also help in understanding the issues that may turn up with Branding of Merchandise.
This case can be discussed in the class or in MDP’s by considering the following points:
- I. Discussing about WBS store and its performance.
- II. Mr. Bhargava’s initiatives and reason for his initiatives.
- III. Reason behind the conflict
- IV. .................